Friday, September 26, 2008

ROUND 8: "THE EMBODIMENT OF WAR AND PEACE" Critiques

HERE ARE THE CRITIQUES OF THE JUDGES FOR ROUND 8:

Finalist #4 Njames




I like the simplicity. But this time I am looking for fashion. The message is subtle. I like the way you projected the eyes - one open, one closed. It is a resounding message that war keeps a blind eye, even when it is open. You are taking a risk here, and I just hope you make the cut.

Seemingly bold move for you to do this kind of styling in terms of being edgy and is quite disturbing all at the same time specially with one of your eye closed. It's quite intellectually stimulating but then again for the common person, they just might think that the WAP endorser is some kind of a one-eyed war veteran without the eye patch. I just wish to see more of the clothes you are wearing though if this is going to be a campaign for a new line of fashionable clothes for the brand... but then again, it does give a dose of making the viewer take another look which adds a mysterious quality to it. Overall, I have mixed feelings about this though.

Initially I was taken aback by your entry because of the closed eye. Upon scrutiny, your entry look is reminiscent of an ad that I've seen before specially with the kind of fonts used for the brand. The subtlety and edginess of the whole look is quite commendable. Kudos to your art director. Totally manly in stance. As a whole, the entry is quite cohesive with the message yet only works as a teaser-type of campaign for the bigger upcoming brand campaign.

mmm … could pass as an ad campaign material.

The picture is unimaginative and is not fashionable. The facial expression is blank. I would appreciate if half of the face expresses angst while the other is calmness and not just an open and close eyes.

This is a sedate handling of the theme. Sans the letters "WAP" on the background, it could have been a photo of a patient queueing for an eye operation, praying that the procedure be safe for him. Neither war nor peace is embodied here.

Highs: Nice Background
Lows: You completely missed the spot. This is not even fashion. It looks disturbing.



Finalist #6 Khalel



I cannot understand your entry. I like the color. I like the white background. I like you facing the dove. But I cannot feel the impact of war. The colors on your body may suggest it, but is making you psychedelic. I just do not understand.

The moment I saw this entry, a feeling of doing charity work hit me as it connotes a red cross kind of feeling to it. I don't see any fashionable thing here unless of course this campaign is only geared as a community service thing. Except for the effort, the psychedelic imprint on your skin ... the fashion brand is lost.

It would have been fashionable had you placed the psychedelic print on your skin as the main pattern for the clothes of WAP. You could have shown at least half of your body to show the clothes you are endorsing. With this shot, the viewer is going to guess what really is being endorsed here. This just works as a teaser for a much more bigger campaign coming out in a few days.

I'd like to see fashion …

Nice graphic design but I cannot feel the war and peace coming out of you. You relied on the dove and graphic portraits of war to pose for you. This is more of a modelling competition rather than a photoshop competition.

I do not like the white background that dissolves the defining edges of the dove of peace. But I like the minimal use of symbols and the scarred but still hopeful projection in the model's eyes. Striations should have been lessened on the face.

Highs: Nice Editing
Lows: What were you guys thinking? What happened to the model?



Finalist #8 Maki



As far as fashionable is concerned, you are tops. I like the spread. I like the span. I like the initial impact of your entry. I like even your pose. Even the bursting sunlight at your back. But I am still ambivalent.

Now you are in the game. Nice clean concept for the campaign. You seem to go on a different path by choosing a peaceful background while donning a combative ensemble. It would have worked much more better had you opted to add some accessories to complete your fashionable look. Nice to see the masculine side of you in this round compared to your round 7 girly entry. Very much improved though as you shined amidst the graphic manipulation / effects done in your wings. Great work nevertheless.

I do like the clean and polished look of your entry. It could be one of the main billboard or ad spreads for the brand. Congratulations for getting back in the competition again. Keep it up and give them a good fight.

fashion ???

This is a complete turnaround from your last week's photo. I believe you nailed the theme by being creative, fashionable, and modelesque. You did not rely solely on graphic manipulation but rather projected the theme through your face and even your clothes.

I see no war, no peace, except the words written under the model's feet. I see instead an iron fairy who has just landed on earth to look for a missing lover. Beware of wearing clothes unfit for the body type. Sleeveless shirts are meant for muscular physique, not for the lean and sexy built.

Highs: Great facial expression. I didn't think you could pull this off but you did. Nice editing.
Lows: I'm not too excited with the wings.



Finalist #9 CJ:



There's just too much clutter around you. I am perplexed because I am getting distracted by these. You are a handsome fellow and you have the making of a true model. The entry is lacking on impact. Otherwise, I would have rooted for you.

Eventhough I like your serene face here, the background you chose seems to be very busy and distracting that the brand got lost in the process. Also, you used the background from the Girbaud war campaign which is a no-no for me since you were given that peg already. Having said that, I guess I just have to wait for your next round.

Overwhelming graphics that made you and your clothes compete for the viewers attention. If only you made the background tamer and maybe recolored it to sepia then the brand would have come out better.

Too much clutter ...

Your picture is worth an ad for a campaign. I appreciate that the focus is on you and not on the background. I just want to see variations in your facial expression because I can remember 2 kinds of facial expression from you. I was distracted by your pout and earring on this one.

Ninety one days before Christmas? Yet the look on the model's face is too uncertain to project any emotion. An unsteady right hand propping up a muscular torso signals neither war nor peace but the coming of more festivities.

Highs: Great photo. I love the overall feel of your photo.
Lows: Too much going on the background.

No comments: