Sunday, May 18, 2008

Cycle 1 Round 3 -- Judges' Critiques

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Aked



1. Boytoy11: What’s lovely about your pic is that you’ve chosen something that is relatable. It’s a smart move because it strikes a familiar chord in the hearts of the judges. The body language, the “I-am-dead-but-still-fierce” attitude is there. And though I can sense a bit of discomfort in your facial expression, the sadness is there. You could’ve pumped it up a bit more though. Two things though that you could’ve improved on: (1) Ask someone to even out your make-up. In this case, the “pale lips” effect; (2) I’m seeing too much floral-motif here (floral pillowcase, floral bed sheets, floral picture frame) that it tends to distract my attention away from you.

2. carlosantino: i like this photograph.. it really portrays a sad delusion towards an end... the angle of your body due really possess you omitted suicide struggling in pain..i like the concept that you chose.

3. Ellis: Maganda ang concept mo at mas maganda ito kasya sa last week. Kita ang lungkot sa iyong mga mata. Pero may kulang pa rin.

4. Evian_Yohann: I saw how the make up and your facial expression complimented each other. It’s impeccable. You delivered effectively this week. There is the story and / or tragedy. Out of all the entries, you are the most convincing.

5. Juls2: ORGANIZED CLUTTER All I am asking for is a little improvement from last week’s “action star” disaster but instead of improving you CRUSHED (borrowed from Simon Cowell) the competition. The scene is very theatrical and by looking at it I already have 101 stories to depict how and why you ended your life. Looking at your eyes I can see despair, sadness, and tragedy all rolled into one. BRAVO!!!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: your photo this week surely has shown how much you've progressed throughout this competition this was a very good shot, it is definitely editorial...I would like to see you in more high fashion shots

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: A very telling depiction of love gone sour, now turned out dead. However, the photo does not show the fierceness and improvement you have shown in the last round. I understand that with this kind of theme, no picture will come out raw as it is unrealistic to portray a dead model. One thing I like is the color tone of your body.

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: u committed suicide in ur bed and the good thing with wat uve done.. is that u stepped up a lil bit more to the theme... i love the concept,,, ang the look in ur face .. it is really sad... the pic is good... BUT u should've darken the pics of whoever that guy is... the main focus of dis shot shud be u.. and not that guy... the guy cud be considered as an element of the shot ... but with ur shot ... it's like promoting the other guy.. but yeah ill give u a fair 6/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Laceration Prince! I like the drama! It is very clear that you committed suicide because of that guy in the photos! Very creative concept! The makeup really made you like a real corpse plus the facial expression and the body language produced an incredible job!

13. zavier.angel: Your camera zoomed out too far to capture any significant meaning from your face. How do I define "virginal" too when the model is holding the photo of his lover? Besides, "virginal suicides" make a last and final call to a friend, lover or confidante after slashing the wrist so that the act becomes a burden to that person's conscience not to the person who committed suicide. Yet your phone is, yes, beside you but with a detached receiver.

14. ZephyrInTheS: This photo was just OK. Your body angles were OK, but I didn't feel any emotions from your facial expression. Considering the sadness in the theme you chose, I didn't see any sadness in your eyes. You've had better weeks.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

CeEJhAy_10



1. Boytoy11: Nice concept, kinda lousy execution. The styling and setting is nice, but you could’ve added more drama to the “hara-kiri” concept. Ideally, the Japanese in spite of committing hara-kiri still maintains a semblance of dignity in death. But here it’s kinda “I-don’t-wanna-be-seen-dead-like-that”. Also, suicide denotes sadness. But sadly, that emotion seems to be lacking from your facial expression. Do better next time.

2. carlosantino: i really love how you deal with your fierce photograph.. this seems not usual but does exist in reality..your eyes was great showing dead emotions.

3. Ellis: Harakiri! Maganda ang iyong konsepto ngunit ang istorya sa likod ng iyong larawan ay hindi ko maintindihan. Kung ang pagpapakamatay ay sanhi ng pagtalikod sa tungkulin o pagtanggap sa kasawian sa isang digmaan (Kadalasang dahilan ng harakiri), hindi ko ito maaninag.

4. Evian_Yohann: I commend you for a single reason that you are unpredictable. Less saturation will make you look really dead. Nevertheless, you are creative and innovative, capable of doing inventive and out of the ordinary things. You’re gay indeed!

5. Juls2: PLASTIC SAMURAI You are my last week’s top model and I expected a lot from you. You committed a past mistake of using bad props (remember the D’Donuts) w/ your plastic Samurai and fake blood. Your angle is a bit stiff and how I wish you leaned against the wall, on a slightly standing position, as if you are going down slowly to the ground. I did not sense high fashion in this pictorial. But one thing I admire is for the first time you hid your best asset and that there is hunger to excel in your eyes. Be REAL!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: my my...this photo didn't seem like you're dead, this shot was more like you're dying...and it just doesn't look like a high fashion shot to me...and again..your eyes...really didn't deliver this week...but I love the personality you bring to your photos..you were going for the i'm a dead brokendown babydoll..your pose was right for the look you're going for, but the eyes weren't as strong as your pose was..

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: Interesting. You have gone against the pack. You could have muted the blackeyes or could have gone without it and still you would have looked believable. You took the risk of looking so UNnatural in this shoot that you made me thinking – am I looking at Ceejay?

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: the japanese suicidal nice concept!! ur pic honestly is freakin me out... oh! I realized that u even used a tatami mat.. ur pic is great... but the sword that u used.. its too fake... it looked like a bit fancy... but great projection. ill give u 6/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Cherry Yakuza! Not to persuasive access for next round. It's good to see that you think of something else to show your suicidal act but some elements didn't play well for your photo. But the body direction as you died is just right.

13. zavier.angel: Good composition and body angles. You should have read at least one novel of Mishima which details the act of seppuku or suicide – it is never done indoors but at dawn after long hours of meditation. Your photo failed to convince me of "virginal suicide"; what I see instead is murder committed by someone else against the model.

14. ZephyrInTheS: Love the concept. Great facial expression. Not too sure about the body angle though. Maybe it was the angle of the camera, but the lower half of your body seems a bit too constricted, or too bunched up.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

claydoh



1. Boytoy11: This photo reminds me of Dionne’s pictorial in ANTM Cycle 8. Nice styling, engaging facial expression. And the body language…I told you that of all the contestants here, you have the greatest body language since you could twist in ways I can’t (I know, I’ve tried). The only thing that prevented me from giving you top marks is that there is too much clutter in your photo that doesn’t really contribute to the pic (the Ariel wrapper, for instance). You are a great model. Just let go of all your inhibitions, try to focus and don’t have too many things going on with your photo. The star of the photo should be you. I hate to see you wasting your potential. Good job, but you can do better.

2. carlosantino: have you omitted suicide here? or your just dumped out over..? i like your photograph but it doesn't look like virgin suicide.. you have been murdered here..how did you dealt death here claydoh?

3. Ellis: Aaminin ko, isa ka sa mga modelo na gusto ko simula pa lang ng cycle 3. Ngunit palagay ko sa round na ito, parang nawala ka sa akin. Alam kong ang larawang ito ay nagpapakita ng high fashion ngunit ang di ko mawari ay di ko alam kung paano ka nagpakamatay dito. Parang itinapon lang ang iyong bangkay. At isa pa, di ko masyado nagustuhan ang pagkaka-edit ng iyong larawan. Sa posing mo, wala akong masasabi kundi maganda ;)

4. Evian_Yohann: As Mr. Jay popularized, you are the “Ms. T-H-I-N-G!” of this competition. This photo is my favorite and undeniably deserving of my vote. Keep rocking, ya’h know w’at ‘am saying, Ms. thing?

5. Juls2: I AM CHUCKY WANNA PLAY? The first thing that comes to mind is that you look like CHUCKY in this picture. Again the concept is so nice that it devoured you into pieces then into ashes. As I have told you on the first round less is more. I know you also have “it” and I voted you as my last week’s second pick. Keep it simple!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: I love your pose..it does seem familiar to me but I love it...This is what I call "I maybe dead, but I make dead people look gorgeous" I love the overall look of this shot..but it's a little too polished...maybe next time I'd like to see your photos a little less polished...this shot is one of my favorites

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: Something is puzzling me. I like the way the photo was done. But there is something holding me back. i think this is a daring photo. Heavily edited, to which I must confess, I am very prejudiced against, but this photo is getting some ambivalence. The dose of drama is great, but the projection of how the death took place is suspect.

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: nice one claydoh! just like the one that I see in marvel comics... marvelous shot claydoh!! i love it!! dis round is gonna be tyt... claydoh also got a 10/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Famine Doll! I like what you did here! I can see the improvement in you! I like the position of your remains here, very natural! And the outfit you wore was cool! You truly appeared you made yourself suffered to death!

13. zavier.angel: Sorry I can't figure out what the person which the model personifies in this photo died of. Also, one may die glamorously from jumping off the 13th floor of a building but his jeans would definitely not be folded neatly upon landing. In terms of image treatment, I don't think candy colors work on a supposedly virginal suicide pic.

14. ZephyrInTheS: I can't get enough of this photo. You usually look so dolled up and pretty, but in this photo you look totally dirty and un-elegant, but in great way. I love all your angles. Congrats on breaking away from your usual mold.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

crazycrepe



1. Boytoy11: The first question that popped into my head was: why did you have eyeliner on? I know it was supposed to add drama, but it doesn’t make sense for a guy to wear eyeliner. Especially one that is neither a goth nor an emo (the clothes are a dead-on clue), and is about to commit suicide. Eyeliner aside, I don’t think there is enough drama or sadness in this picture. You were doing so well. Don’t disappoint us now.

2. carlosantino: its not effective for me.. the scar made by you really intended just for photograph and not for a real thing.,the blood is really lacking as well..

3. Ellis: Naalala ko sa iyo si Crisostomo Ibarra. Hehehe! Maganda ang konsepto. Ang iyong mata ay nagpapakita ng kasawian sa pag-ibig. Nagtataka lang ako kung ang isang taong magpapakamatay ng paglaslas sa pulso, hindi niya maiiwanan ang punyal sa kanyang hita.

4. Evian_Yohann: “Moyenne,” in English, mediocre! You are now becoming unsurprising. The blood is scripted and I can’t see the laceration, only blood. I guess you are holding back.

5. Juls2: ALAK PA You look wasted from alcohol in this picture. It is really hard to find a good balance between being believable and making it a high fashion shot. What you lack is experimentation because most of your previous shots are just on a safe mode. Try to be more flamboyant and exaggerated. I still believe that you have the “it” factor but you better find it within you. Get out of the CLOSET!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: this shot is mediocre, the pose wasn't disgustingly fabulous for me, but you gave it your best, frankly, I've seen this shot already but you made it your own which makes it good..

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: Cool. Brilliant. I can forgive the photoediting. Now you are telling a story. You are baring yourself. Even in death. Somber, not so morbid and very muted. Effective. Projection now has greatly improved. And you are still sexy despite and inspite of.

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: CONGRATS!! ur my top 1 for this round..filipino suicidal!! nice concept.. nice projection.. nice everything... ill give u a 10/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Slash Marquess! Too safe entry, you didn't put much effort with this photo. You didn't look dead in your pose, its more likely you're drunk. Is this how an emo dressed as a yuppie dies?

13. zavier.angel: Your photoshop artist highlighted aspects of the photo already present – tears running down the model's cheeks, blood dripping from the limb, eyes wanting to live and die at the same time. Very strong impact. One of your best.

14. ZephyrInTheS: I love the expression in your eyes. I really feel the sadness. I'm not feeling your body angle that much. I would have liked it if your right leg was a little more bent. Still, it's a good photo.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

john ralph



1. Boytoy11: This is the photo that killed Baby Tyra in ANTM8. And sadly, that picture’s weakness is the same one that I see here. Dead in the eyes, and not in a good way. Yes you are supposed to be dead, but there has to be something there (sadness, frustration, last-minute regrets) that would make us all think of a thousand stories why you committed suicide. You have all the other things right: execution, body language, styling and even the post-finishing of the photo is superb. But without that oh-so-essential emotion, it’s just a good picture and you’re just a good model. Show me great next time. Please.

2. carlosantino: your eyes are still alive..where did the blood came from? you didn't have any blood in your head.. and where does the blood from the back came from as well? if you will look at your photograph, the blood from your head doesn't connect the blood from your back.. if you will omit this kind of suicide.. i don't think there will be shed of blood from behind. and your hands.. your hands are clean whereas the place where you putted it is in so much blood.. so fake.

3. Ellis: Ang larawang ito ay maaaring mailagay sa isang magazine. Maganda ang iyong postura. Ang iyong mga hita ay parang patay talaga. Ang masasabi ko lang ay ang dugong nasa iyong ulunan ay halatang hindi tunay.

4. Evian_Yohann: You looked uncomfortable and your face = awkward. Plus, your photo is predictable. Be conscious of these aspects.

5. Juls2: RECYCLE / KINUYOG VERSION This picture reminds me of your business/formal attire entry but on your way home you came across a group of men drinking liquor and decided to make “kuyog” you. = ) I do not like the computer altered/created blood, angle of the shot, and the location used. This is remotely opposite from your previous performances. Do not be complacent because one day you’re in and the next day you may be out. Reinvent yourself!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: you seem to surprise us every now and then, how may frames did it take you to pull off a shot like this? This is what I call "I am dead but I look damn fabulous shot"...Your eyes if you could just pull back a little...this shot is again...a stunner

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: The photo will speak for itself. Outstanding! The violent cause of death is shouting out loud with your photo. Fierce!

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: another great shot from u... bravo!!! the concept of jumping off a building... very realistic... and nice positioning!! the backgroun looks like the one in parasite eve.. good job!! i will also give u a 10/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Fallen Yuppie. You should be aware of your facial expression because it might look overworked. But still you have a nice pose and clothes; the only element that I don't like is the evidently photoshoping experience.

13. zavier.angel: Those twisted limbs looking so natural from a fall off an elevated space; those eyes penetrating with a question: "Why did you not save me?"; the blood that's beginning to dry on the pavement – these elements made your picture perfect for virginal suicide.

14. ZephyrInTheS: Gorgeous. I want those pants hehe. I love your body angle, and the expression in your face is apt. I'm not sure if I'm loving the negative expression though. Maybe I'm just not used to seeing you so weak. But you rocked this photoshoot.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Onyn iS heRe



1. Boytoy11: You’re so dead this week. There was not enough drama here to make us sympathize or empathize with you. It was a good concept, Renee from ANTM8 rocked it. But here, I just don’t see a model. What I get from you when I look into your face is “Tapos na ba tayong magkuha? I am boring myself to death na”.

2. carlosantino: not strong enough.. this is really a 10 second photograph compared to other who really gave a nice photos.. sorry for this one.. i don't like it..

3. Ellis: Hindi ko ito maunawaan. Para sa akin, ang larawang ito ay hindi nagpapakita ng isang taong kumitil sa kanyang buhay, bagkus, ito ay isang taong nagpapakita ng pagkabangag sa ipinagbabawal na gamot. Parang buhay ka rito na nag-iisip ng malalim.

4. Evian_Yohann: frankly, I’m not convinced. You passed a safe photo, you didn’t look dead, and the makeup is unbearable. Dig more!

5. Juls2: KINIS KIWI - POLISHED Last week you appeared very polished and you committed the same mistake this week. The camera loves you but again there is no emotion in this picture. You look like you are just staring and is amazed by the syringes. Emote on!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: and then we have onyn, the finalist that I have so much faith in, you rocked this photo...Your photos are so good I would love to be dead by looking at it...this concept is also familiar to me but I love it...I love it..I love it...did I say that I love it?...Look at those eyes...they scream F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!! It's high fashion, it's edgy and it's fierce!!

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: You are very serene? You like the way you died. The subtle depiction of fashion is misleading yet effective. Only that you looked so clean despite the trauma. Safe at the moment, but with strong competitive entries, you are in danger here.

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: u know what? ur shot is more like a drug addiction... not a virgin suicide.... frankly.. i dont like ur shot.. so ill give u 5/5

12. yoh_asakura: The Mind-numbing Junkie!!! Too boring… you haven't grown from the previous rounds. I want to see is a body shot not just the face. Are you lying on a table or on the floor? The modeling factors are still lacking in you. You are now in great tribulation.

13. zavier.angel: Nice but not original.

14. ZephyrInTheS: Though the photo is a bit too safe, I totally love the expression in your eyes. It's totally lifeless, and it's like despite of everything you went through, you're OK now that you're dead. I wish this was a whole body shot though.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

warlocke



1. Boytoy11: I don’t get suicide from you your picture. This is scary in a horror kinda way. Perhaps it would’ve helped more if you angled the lighting in another way. Mediocre body language, and as far as facial expression goes…nil.

2. carlosantino: your fingers are stiffed. you just look over-stressed here and being in that disposition you put your legs in the sofa to rest,,in short not effective.. not real.. maybe its better if your mouth is gnarling with something due to overdose.

3. Ellis: Aaminin ko, pag tinitignan ko ang mga mata mo sa larawang ito, parang bigla ka na lang lalabas sa monitor at sasakalin mo ako. Nakakatakot ito sobra. Ngunit ang magandang balita rito ay, ito ang pinakamaganda mong larawan.

4. Evian_Yohann: err…did you really die out of suicide? Since you got a terrible body positioning which is a reminiscent of Diana’s photo in ANTM8 wherein she was electrocuted in a bath tub. Having said this remark, I believe you died due to a horrifying heart stroke.

5. Juls2: GULAT KA NOH?! TIDE. You amaze me every week because I am having trouble recognizing you. You are such a chameleon in every shot. I love that you experimented with your pose and your angles. I am just looking for a replacement of the DRAMA of blood like bubbling/ gushing saliva and the likes. I immediately looked at your eyes and it seems like I am watching a horror flick but at least there is an effort to improve. You are growing on a steady phase. Accelerate your game!

6. lenin: [no critique -- strike 1]

7. nonsense: hmmmm...what can I say?I really can'y explain how I feel about this photo..it's nice...it's not as strong as the other photos are but still you brought it.so that's still good..

8. Rafe_143: [no critique -- strike 1]

9. rotogold: Evidently, you have vastly improved. Your concept is masculine and I just love it. The focus on your face is one that cannot be denied. I will have a hard time deciding this time!

10. SayNO: [no critique -- strike 1]

11. toyan: for me dis is one of ur bestshot.. no blood included but u exercised the theme very well... i love that look in ur face... and positioning... i am wondering how'd ur left leg got into the couch... but it's ok still a great shot... its a 9/10

12. yoh_asakura: The Dancing Capsule!!! It seems that you died from electrocution! Your face and especially your eyes tell me the excitement of death! Although you have nice clothes on but the manner you died didn't match with your concept. But this is one better from your previous submissions. You should try imitating Cleopatra dying with a snake's bite and posing to your beautifully unforgettable fatality!

13. zavier.angel: The light on your face is too strong it dissolved some sharp expression which could have cut across the scary resolve to die. Also, you should have done research on young people who commit suicide using sleeping pills or capsules – all of them want to die young, die serenely, and die beautifully. Your body's angles are incongruent to those reasons for dying that way.

14. ZephyrInTheS: Good body angle. I like the effort you put into the photo. I'm just not sure if it's enough though, given how great some of the other photos are. Since you looked directly into the camera, you needed to have a strong expression. You didn't though, which is unfortunate.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

No comments: